Wow!

We have a terrific class of respectful, bright students. It is going to be a great year!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Information for the weeks of October 1-15th

  • Conferences are next week, October 8-12.  I have scheduled all of the class a time and date.  If you need a time and date reminder, please send a note to school with your child.  I look forward to chatting with you regarding the academic and emotional progress of your child.
  • Conference survey forms.  Please try to complete and return the conference survey.  The conferences are VERY short and it helps to identify areas of concern in advance so that I make sure to address them.
  • I will have more information regarding Halloween in my next blog.  However, so that you are well prepared, costumes are optional but MOST of the Rio children do wear a costume to school.
  • This Friday, October 5th, we will be celebrating our first completed reward chart.  The children voted on a Read/Lego party.  The children will get a portion of the afternoon to read and/or create with Legos.  They will be allowed to bring one cozy item...small stuffed animal or blanket and any books they would like to read and share from home.  I have asked them to also bring Legos.  They are to only bring Lego pieces (No kits with instructions).  We will make sure that the Legos do not get mixed up.
  • Thank you to the families who have made generous donations toward our Prize Box and toward our classroom supplies.  We are all blessed to have such giving families.
  • Thank you for reviewing the homework with your child every night.  The math concepts move very quickly and it is helpful to have a second teacher review the concepts.  The problems on the back of the homework gradually get more difficult.  Your child is only required to complete two problems on the back for homework credit.
  • Keep practicing the math facts nightly.
  • Finally, many of you may be aware that I celebrated my father's 80th birthday last weekend in New York City.  I was lucky enough to visit the 911 Memorial.  I shared a bit of the history with your children but I have also asked them to ask you what you know and remember about the event.  I did not want to get too detailed with the reasons or the details of the losses as I felt that you would do a better job at sharing what you would like your child to know.  Please take a moment to chat about this historical event.